Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Fluffy Prince of Darkness: Go, Go, Go or Run, Run, Run?

My son isn't sure whether the Japanese characters in this picture should be translated as go, go, go or run, run, run. C'mon. Look at the picture. Is there any doubt in your mind? If you're still debating, let me tell you a story about my demonic cat. Demonic, you say? Aren't you exaggerating? Although this sounds extreme I have years of research behind me. He's always been trouble and I'm pretty sure that he hates humans. But it's also become clear to me that he's opposed to Christmas. This reality more than any other has led me to the conclusion that he is in fact the spawn of satan.

1. A mysterious death. First there is the death of his sister, a sweet and beautiful cat who loved our family. He was inseparable from her -- despite her best efforts. He used to entertain himself by jumping on her and biting her. The two of them were together when she was run over by a car in broad daylight in front of our house. When I found him afterward he seemed distracted, panicked. I pitied him. In retrospect, I'm certain he pushed her.

2. A taste for human flesh. Until his sister's death he ignored humans. He existed only for her. After her accident he turned his attentions on us. Yes, he started jumping on us and biting us, too. He's drawn more blood from us than a physician's assistant. Once he wrapped his entire body around my arm and sent me to the emergency room for antibiotics to stop the swelling. Periodically we hear rumors about a mountain lion scaring the neighbors. I think I know where it lives.

3. His crazy eyes. There are times when he seems almost normal. At these times his eyes seem hardly stranger than those of any other cat. He almost seems to know who we are. Then there are times when the pupils swell to consume the entire eyeball, and he looks at you like Gollum from Lord of the Rings. You know he's sizing you up, checking for the vulnerable places, the tasty bits. Master wouldn't hurt the Precious. But what will the the Precious do to Master?

4. A biohazard. My cat emits a foul stench and pieces fall off him. I mean masses of hair that leave him with bald spots. All of this may be related to a strange illness he contracted a couple years after coming to live with us. He lay under a bush wheezing for hours. The vet believed he'd been poisoned and ought to have died. Looking back, I believe he probably did die or was already dead at that time.

5. He hates Christmas. Whereas his angelic sister would climb into the Christmas tree and go to sleep, her brother is always knocking the ornaments down. We've tried moving them higher, but now he's started knocking the whole tree down. My cat is clearly the tool of evil spirits. Our minister says if he does an exorcism then every cat owner will want one. And since Fluffy's a good mouser, I guess I'm stuck with him for now. My little demon cat. Who -- or what -- has possessed whom?

6 comments:

  1. LOL very nice. Very nice. Now that Christmas is over you'll be ready to get that tree down, I'll bet. Unless the Spawn did it for you already...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fluffy sounds scary! *cue ominous horror film music* I do not own a cat, but I own an adorable deranged Chihuahua who attacks my brother when said brother points at my 5 lb. attack Chihuahua. My vicious little demon dog has also bitten several relatives and their dogs. He, however, has a special fondness for cats. Coincidence? I fear not...

    This was a hilarious post, Eric! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the weather outside is frightful,
    And kitty's feeling spiteful,
    And since we've no place to run
    get the gun, get the gun, get the gun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eric--

    Ever since I read your post on the "Dear Santa" thread (on Critique Circle) and it sent me into an extended bout of gufawing (that is a word) I had to have more. I'm so glad I came across your blog. And a happy New Year to you (and greenguy, zellakate, twisted, and skymanator).

    Hugs,
    Ginny (a.k.a. waterloon)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the opening alone, you deserve a round of applause.

    ...p
    .p...l
    a......a
    .e...u
    ...s

    Okay, a diamond of applause. Whatever \/\/

    Merry New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ginny and James, thank you! I'm honored to be able to share my cat story with you. If anyone cares to forward their mailing address I will share the entire cat.

    ReplyDelete